Thursday, January 13, 2011

Progress

So this was week 2 of Matt and I's couch to 5k.  This week you run for 1.30 and walk a minute.  We have been running on treadmills since it's way too cold to run outside obviously!  But it's really fun to run next to Matt because we both have the same pained look on our faces when we run!  My endurance is good it's just my shins are KILLING me!  But I grin and bear it:)  Last night we ran and I ended up walking only a total of 5 minutes and ran for 15 which put me at a 1.17 mile which is super SLOW!  But hey I ran and felt really good about it.  Next week you do 2.00 run and 1.00 of walking.  I cheated a little and went ahead and ran 2 minutes at a time last night just to see if I could do it and I can.  I'm not trying to run as fast as possible I just want to say, yea I can run 3 miles no problem!  Slow and steady wins the race right?

In other news, I found out on Monday that a sweet friend of mine I had the pleasure of getting to know this summer at my SMU course was killed along with her husband in a head on collision Sunday evening.  They were on their way back home from church and a truck lost control and ran right in to them.  I'm very sad for this loss because she was such a wonderful person.  I tried to sit next to her every day of class because she was hilarious and always had a smile on her face.  She will most definitely be missed and I pray for her and his families as they are going through what I can't even imagine with losing two wonderful people, and they were both music teachers.  So very sad.  It's amazing how in two weeks of intimate classes you share so much with someone and now they're gone.  I've never really had a close friend die and we did stay in touch after our course so she's been on my mind all week.  Laci you will be so missed!

Even though my heart is heavy I love knowing she was a woman of God and she's dancing and singing with the angels :) 

3 comments:

  1. Linds, so sorry to hear about your friend - I know that must be hard on you, but I am glad you have the comfort of knowing where she is!

    Congrats on your couch to 5k progress! I got my Dad and Renee to do it too! My shins were also KILLING me - its the switching from running to walking...week 3 was the worst for me. I got new shoes and after a while my shins don't bother me at all! (If only I could say the same for my knees/ankles :)) I am thinking you might be doing a slightly different program than I did? I just looked back at mine and week 3 was a little different, but they all get to the same purpose! Keep it up pretty girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear that about your friend and her husband. That is just awful and is a reminder of how fragile our lives really are. *Hugs*

    And keep up the good work on the running! Sounds like you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. That is just awful. Hope you are doing OK from that. How are your shins?? When I had that really bad, switching shoes really was the cure. Luke's Locker can give you the exact shoes you need. I'm sure you already know that, but just in case! Hope the running is going great still!!

    ReplyDelete